Everyone naturally wants the very best for their cat. In addition to cuddling and playing with your cat, you are also responsible for the care and health of your beloved four-legged friend. Sometimes health problems are caused by a lack of moisture. Does your cat drink too little? In this article we explain why and how you can get your cat to drink more, for example with a drinking fountain.
It is a common problem in cats: dehydration. Unfortunately, many cats drink less than is healthy for them. This can have several causes. Are you curious about what you can do to make your cat drink more and keep it healthy? Then read on.
From wild cat to beloved pet
A cat's body, like humans, is two thirds water. Cats need a certain amount of moisture to survive and keep their bodies healthy. A domestic cat, of course, has a completely different diet than a wild cat. When you give your cat wet food, she will take part of it out of it. The word says it all, there is no moisture at all. That is why we put a drinking bowl for our animals. Unfortunately, not every cat drinks enough from a normal drinking bowl with dehydration. In addition, cats can concentrate their urine allowing them to survive on less water than other animals. However, this does not mean that it is also healthy. Dehydration can have serious consequences.
Dehydration due to lack of moisture
How do you know if your cat is drinking too little? One of the best and simplest ways to test this is to squeeze your cat's skin and gently pull it up. If the skin does not return to its normal position quickly, your cat is probably dehydrated. Also watch for signs of gasping, depression, loss of appetite, sunken eyes, or dry mouth. An increased heart rate or lethargy can also indicate dehydration.
The role of the drinking trough
Most plastic containers or bowls are not recommended because of the chemicals that can be released into the water and give it an unpleasant smell and taste. This can also be a reason for your cat to drink less. In addition, the chemicals can be toxic to the cat. Drinking bowls made of BPA-free plastic, ceramic, stainless steel or glass are good alternatives.
The drinking surface should be wide enough for the cat to stick its head in without the whiskers touching the edges. You can of course also use a drinking fountain to enlarge the drinking surface. This way the whiskers are not in the way and your cat gets clean and enough water in a simple way to stay healthy. To prevent the bowl from moving, you can use a non-slip mat, so that the whiskers do not hit the edge unexpectedly during a solid thirst quencher.
Tips and tricks to help your cat drink more
1. Experiment with a particular taste: Some cats don't find normal water interesting enough to drink enough. Like people, they sometimes want some variety. Add a little tuna, mussel juice, or low-sodium chicken stock (stock without onion or garlic) to their water. This will make your cats go to the water more quickly for a drink. Don't put too much in it, it just needs to tickle the cat's nose. Also make sure you always use organic products.
2. Vary in food: Alternate with dry food and wet food. As you have just read, cats are used to getting most of their water from their food. You can also add a little water to the canned food. Just don't make it too soupy, the cat can also dislike this. If your cat does not feel like drinking from a normal saucer, this is a great solution to allow them to get more water.
3. Separate Drinking and Eating - Cats are very careful about what they drink and eat. Water or food on a bowl may have certain smells or tastes that are unpleasant for your cat. It's a good idea to place the bowl or water fountain on the opposite side of the room or in a different room from the food to prevent it from affecting your cat's eating or drinking habit. By taking it apart, you prevent your cat from ignoring the water.
4. Keep the water fresh: Put a few ice cubes in their water bowl, especially in warm weather this is recommended. Cats like fresh water and will drink it more often. This tip only has a short term effect. You can also opt for a drinking fountain for cats. This water bowl provides continuous running water, this fresh water is ideal for the cat. The benefits of this are endless and we'll cover in full in a moment.
5. You cannot judge the amount of water a cat drinks by the amount of water you see them drinking. If your cat is fed wet food, they will at least get extra moisture that way. If they drink, it could just as well be when you're away from home. It is better to fill the fountain or container completely to maximum capacity and then observe when the fountain or container is empty and how much water is left in it.
Is a drinking fountain suitable for your cat?
To ensure your cat drinks more, there is only one tool with guaranteed success. By means of a special drinking fountain for cats, you can be sure that your cat will drink more. Cats love running water and prefer to avoid standing water. A drinking fountain provides your cat with fresh running water. Cats associate running water with safety, hygiene and it is a recognizable sound. Some drinking fountains are equipped with charcoal and foam filters that keep the water free from dust, unpleasant odors and tastes and (cat) hair.
By choosing a drinking fountain for cats, it is considerably easier to stimulate your cats to drink. In addition, you can easily combine a drinking fountain with the tips and tricks we mentioned above. With the drinking fountain, your cat is guaranteed to drink more and you will see that when the cat has become acquainted with the drinking fountain, he will not quickly return to his old drinking bowl. It is the asset for you and your beloved animals.
Interested in a drinking fountain?
With the useful information from this article, you will know exactly what to do if you want your cat to drink more. By means of a drinking fountain for cats it is a lot easier to ensure that your cat will drink optimally. You have come to the right place for a drinking fountain for cats.
View below the drinking fountain that meets your wishes and all the needs for good health and stimulation of your cats. Getting a cat to drink more is probably easier than you think.